Bite-Sized Hot Dog Facts
It’s probably no surprise that July is Hot Dog Month, but the third Wednesday of the month is also National Hot Dog Day!
- The hot dog is one of the most iconic American foods with Americans consuming more than a billion of them each year during the summer!
- Street vendors in New York City and St. Louis sold hot dogs in buns in the 1860s.
- In 1893 Chris Von de Ahe brought baseball and hot dogs together selling them at St. Louis Browns games (now the St. Louis Cardinals.) The Colombian Exposition in Chicago also began selling hot dogs. In both locations they became an instant hit.
- Mustard is the #1 condiment of choice.
- Other popular toppings include: ketchup, onions, chili sauce, pickles, relish, sauerkraut, cheese and coleslaw.
However, you like your hot dog prepared, whether nestled in a bun and smothered with condiments and toppings, chopped up, bunless and with baked beans, or maybe just plain, enjoy one of America’s iconic foods at cookouts and ballgames this summer.