Recipe for this Month: Barbecued Chicken
July 27, 2017
- 2 fryer chickens (3 to 4 lbs)
- Salt and pepper
- Barbecue sauce
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with the salt and pepper. Grill skin side down, uncovered, on a greased grill rack over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, make the barbecue sauce. Heat the oil over medium heat. Add onions, sauté until tender. Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken; brush with barbecue sauce. Grill 15-25 minutes longer, brushing frequently with sauce, until a thermometer reads 165 degrees when inserted in the breast and 170 -175 degrees in the thigh. ENJOY!